Friday, August 8, 2014

A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux













Dougless Montgomery and Nichols Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck






A Knight in Shining Armor

By Jude Deveraux

Book Blurb:
Dougless Montgomery couldn't believe it. She had tried to be the very essence of the modern American woman -- competent yet sexy, financially independent yet ready to love and be loved. She had planned this holiday tour with special care, wanting everything to be perfect for Robert, the man she hoped one day to marry. Yet here she was, after a stupid quarrel, abandoned in a church in the midst of rural England. Abandoned, with no luggage, no money, no credit cards, while Robert drove off without so much as a backward glance. 

As Dougless lay upon a cold tombstone, crying in fury and frustration, she longed for a knight in shining armor to save her from this abysmal mess. Suddenly, as if in answer to her prayers, the most extraordinary man stood before her.... He was Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck, who accodring to his tombstone had died in 1564. Tall, broad-shouldered, attired in gleaming silver and gold, he was magnificent. He stood in the dim light of the church, thunderstruck, drinking her in: her strange costume, the uncased hair that flowed to her shoulders, her long, lovely, BARE legs. He could scarce keep his wits about him, but of one thing he was certain -- she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. Drawn to his side by a bond so sudden and compelling it overshadowed reason, Dougless knew that Nicholas was nothing less than a miracle: a man who would not seek to change her, who found her perfect, fascinating, just as she was. Yet she could not imagine how strong were the chains that tied them to the past... or the grand adventure that lay before them.…



Okay are you ready for this statement? A Knight in Shining Armor is my very first Jude Deveraux book. Like, ever. 


A Knight in Shining Armor has been on my TBR list for years. Years and years I'm telling you. I was finally motivated to read it because I really wanted to read an exceptional historical romance and something that was a "sure thing" as a great read. I've often heard that A Knight in Shining Armor is some people's all time favourite historical romance so I pretty much figured that with an exclusive label like that, I certainly would be bound to like it. 

And I did. I loved it. I admit to being a little iffy at the beginning because Dougless certainly seemed as close to a doormat as possible but she definitely redeems herself throughout the book.  

A Knight in Shining Armor also wasn't what I had expected. Half the book takes place in modern times (in this case the 1980's) and the other half of the book takes place in the 1560's. It was a really good plot and it was a page turner for me. There wasn't any cliffhangers or anything like that and I really liked that is was not as predictable as some romance novels can be. I liked that. I liked that the story didn't allow their romance to come easy and smooth. There were a lot of bumps along the way and much conflict to overcome. I liked that a lot too. 

It has been a few days since I finished and I still find myself thinking about the characters and the ending. I think that is a pretty good sign of how much I enjoyed reading it. 

Teasers: Time travel, Arabella's table, changing history, the true meaning of soul mates






No comments: