Thursday, February 20, 2014

Audiobook Review of It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips









Coach Dan Calebow and Phoebe Somerville's book






It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars #1)

By Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Narrated by Anna Fields

Book Blurb:
It's Dan Calebow's worst nightmare: Phoebe Somerville, a trendy New York knockout, inherits the Chicago Stars, the football team he coaches. And she wants to help him run it. Phoebe's sure he needs her. He's a sexist, good-ol'-boy jock with a one track mind. She can straighten him out. 
So why should each find the other attractive? Call it the competitive urge, but these two stubborn people play the game for keeps.







The best form of book publicity is word of mouth. My good friend, who has introduced me to so many fabulous books, once again encouraged me to read Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I've been on this recent audiobook kick and I was pleased to see that my library has lots of options for her books. 

I am a football nut so It Had to Be You was right up my alley. I loved it. A great romance and I kept thinking what a wonderful movie this story would make. There was even a suspenseful ending. It Had to Be You is the first book in the Chicago Stars series and I eagerly look forward to reading/listening to the rest. 

Phoebe Somerville was a complex character. Just when you thought you'd understand her character the author, Susan Elizabeth Phillips would provide a memory flashback and you'd want to sob and then change your perception about her. 

Coach Dan Calebow is a man's man and deeply submerged into the boy's club of football. I have to admit, I expected a lot more push back or snark from the coach when Phoebe inherited and took over the Star's NFL Football Club. He had a temper and soon Phoebe knew exactly which buttons to press. Honestly, Phoebe was the smartest "bimbo" I've ever read. That probably was because she wasn't a bimbo at all. A bombshell yes, bimbo no. 

Phoebe's dad was a jerk and one of the biggest, misogynist dolts I've ever read. I can state my opinion and we never even meet him. The story starts out with all the characters attending his funeral. One of the funniest scenes in the entire book occurs during his funeral and I knew from that first chapter, I was committed to It Had to Be You.

It Had to Be You was very enjoyable listen with the one exception. I didn't really care for the narrator's voiceover of Dan's character. It was supposed to be southern accent but I kept picturing an overweight man with big lips. Like a cartoon character. Other than that, I loved it. I smiled a lot and I also got quite angry a few times. Excellent story and it kept me highly engaged. 

Teasers: Pooh the dog, new found sisterly love, scary role play scene, AFC Championship game





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love! love! This series, I love the narrator, and miss her work so much!
I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, it only gets better :)
Great review :)

Unknown said...

I know! SEP is a great author. I really enjoyed all the books I have read so far. I want to listen to the next one but it is currently checked out from the library so I have it on hold.