Monday, November 4, 2013

What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer McQuiston



















Lady Georgette Thorold and James McKenzie's book





What Happens in Scotland 

By Jennifer McQuiston

Book Blurb:
Lady Georgette Thorold has always been wary of marriage, so when she wakes up next to an attractive Scotsman with a wedding ring on her finger, it’s easy to understand why she panics and flees. Convinced that Georgette is a thief, her may-be husband, James McKenzie, searches for her. As both try to recall what happened that fateful night, they begin to realize that their attraction and desire for each other is undeniable. But is it enough?




What Happens in Scotland is cute and has some humourous moments but lacked the momentum to keep my interest for long periods of time. I found I read a few chapters then put it down to read a bit more later. I am not a fan of couple miscommunications as the main baseline for the story plot. Having said that, the story was quirky and unique and I can't recall reading anything similar. So bonus points for creativity!

Even though the story is based in Scotland, I was getting no Scottish vibe from the book. I was disappointed about that because the reason I decided to read What Happens in Scotland was due to my pinning for a Scottish romance. 

The characters, Georgette and James were likable enough and I had enough dislike of the villain to make me happy I read through to the end. I loved that the entire book is just one day so there was something happening with each page/chapter. I especially liked that Georgette seemed to grow as a person and became a stronger woman as the day went on. Awesome that it wasn't a man to bring it out of her either. 

It seemed liked the story was plotted out nicely and the missing segments of time from their mutual drunken amnesia night seemed to come together like perfectly fit puzzle pieces. 

The supporting characters were all excellent and helped carry the story through chapter to chapter. Each of the main protagonists needed the sidekicks in order to make that happen. 

Cute and sweet story. 

Teasers: chamber pot head injury, corset clue, delusional cousin, long overdue father and son reunion 





No comments: