Monday, October 22, 2012

Rock Hard by Olivia Cunning















Sed Lionheart & Jessica Chase's book



Rock Hard (Sinners book 2) 

By Olivia Cunning


Book Blurb:An ultimatum can break your heart.... 

Every night lead singer, Sed Lionheart whips thousands of women into a frenzy with his voice alone. But the stage is the only place Sed feels any passion since he lost Jessica...
If you’re not willing to break all the rules...
It shattered her heart, but law student Jessica broke off her engagement to Sed, determined to be successful on her own terms. But no other man can ever hold a candle to Sed...
Then a chance meeting and tortuously close quarters lead to uncontrollable flares of passion and rediscovery of their unique penchant for public encounters. Now, in addition to the risk of mutual heartbreak every time they get together, they’re in danger of truly scandalous public exposure...


Rock Hard did not rock my world the same way that Backstage Pass did but it was still a highly enjoyable book. 

Sed is the lead singer of The Sinners. To be honest, Sed is not one of my favourite guys. He lives up to his bad boy image and I don't think it's even an act. He encompasses a rock star persona through and through. He constantly puts his foot in his mouth and is quite unapologetic about it. Even through all of this attitude, his weak spot is Jessica. I understand that Sed means well enough but his way of getting his point across often fails and is met with people being put on the defensive. 

Jessica confused the hell out of me. She is a stubborn woman who doesn't let up very easily. I felt myself siding with Jessica and then Sed and then Jessica and then Sed. If there was ever a rock star couple meant for each other's personalities, it is Sed and Jessica. Some of the things that really bothered me about Jessica was regarding this law degree she was so passionate about. I was totally confused about her situation. She is so smart, practically head of the class but then when faced with not having enough funds for school in the autumn, she becomes a stripper instead of getting some sort of internship or something "law-y". There has to be some sort of paying job that would involve a law student. As much as I thought the sex video was a perfect angle to include in Rock Hard, Jessica's reaction was a bit off. I don't really picture Jessica as a lawyer. 

Additionally with Jessica, I am not quite sure when her feelings about Sed changed. I was super annoyed that she was getting together with him with the purpose to try and break his heart. Seemed rather childish and high schoolish to me. Not something I'd expect from a 2nd year law student. 

One of the things I loved about Rock Hard was that the story seemed so much more than just a romance between Sed and Jessica. The previous couple Brian and Myrna were present a lot and the rest of the band, Eric, Jace and Trey never left the storyline. It was like reading a book about a concert tour. FABULOUS. I hope that theme keeps up throughout the entire series. 

I cannot wait for Trey's book. I think I am leaning towards him being my favourite so far. Trey was in Rock Hard a lot and had his own side story and it was excellent. 

Rock Hard has lots and lots of sex. Jess and Sed sure have enough smoking chemistry to heat up the pages. The scenes are super hot but too frequent. I prefer the quality over the quantity. In the first book, Backstage Pass, the sex was very adventurous. It seemed in Rock Hard the theme was more focused on the setting and frequency. (On top of the Eiffel tower in Vegas,  hotel rooms, vehicles, sail boats etc and how many organisms can a guy give a woman anyhow?) Sed has unprecedented stamina. 

There was one lingering question I did have, if anyone knows, please respond. What was the significance of the groupie in Sed's dressing room at that last concert. I kept thinking she was going to do something to injure him but maybe I was reading too much into it. I just didn't know what the relevance of that scene was.  

I am so happy I only have to wait until Nov 1st for Trey's book. I am very excited about that!

Teasers: bouncer fight with lots of physical ramifications, sex video, 10 for the big O, dual proposal





1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Hey there! Beautiful blog! You have a new follower here from Book Blogs! Here's my blog if you'd like to stop by for a visit. I'm also having a giveaway right now if you'd like to enter.

MaMa's Book Corner Giveaway