Monday, February 27, 2012

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon





















Drums of Autumn (Outlander book 4) 


By Diana Gabaldon 
This review is spoilerish and was written with the intent that you would have already read the book. 


Book Blurb:


It began at an ancient Scottish stone circle. There, a doorway, open to a select few, leads into the past—or the grave. Dr. Claire Randall survived the extraordinary passage, not once but twice.

Her first trip swept her into the arms of Jamie Fraser, an eighteenth-century Scot whose love for her became a legend—a tale of tragic passion that ended with her return to the present to bear his child. Her second journey, two decades later, brought them together again in the American colonies. But Claire had left someone behind in the twentieth century—their daughter, Brianna....

Now Brianna has made a disturbing discovery that sends her to the circle of stones and a terrifying leap into the unknown. In search of her mother and the father she has never met, she is risking her own future to try to change history ... and to save their lives. But as Brianna plunges into an uncharted wilderness, a heartbreaking encounter may strand her forever in the past ... or root her in the place she should be, where her heart and soul belong...





I ventured forth with a re-read of Drums of Autumn because I had just finished doing a re-read Voyager. I honestly didn't plan for a re-read of the Outlander series right now but I sorta just fell into it after reading and reviewing The Scottish Prisoner. I am so glad I did. 


I remember that when I read Drums of Autumn the first and second time, I did enjoy it but because I was so anxious to read anything and everything about Jamie and Claire, I'd skip through a lot of Roger and Bree story lines. This time around I didn't. I just sat back and really took my time and thoroughly enjoyed every chapter and every character. It was fabulous. I feel like I have now just experienced Roger and Bree on a different level. 


I do remember being so pleased that when Diana Gabaldon wrote Bree, that she didn't just do a carbon copy of Jamie and Claire. Yes she had Jamie's looks and some of his mannerisms but Bree is definitely her own person. I also have to remember that she is young and she will make mistakes that young people will make. I found I appreciated that trait of hers more this time and I was way more forgiving in some of the things she did and how she did them. 


Drums of Autumn is quite fabulous. So much happens in this book but not in an angsty, heart palpating way. A lot of character growth and the story moved forward by leaps and bounds. I think back to all the scenes that happened in Drums of Autumn and I am blown away by how much time had passed. 


Claire delivered some of my favourite lines in Drums of Autumn


"You're a walking inducement to harlots," I said. "Stick by me; I'll protect you."


"He's much sneakier than I thought," I said. "Practically Scottish."

"Actually, it's your kilt that make me want to fling you to the floor and commit ravishment," I told him.

"May the Lord deliver me from stubborn Scotsmen!" I said.  

And a Jamie quote worth noting....
"Your face is my heart, Sassenach," he said softly, "and love of you is my soul." 




The building of Fraser Ridge really provided an excellent foundation for the North Carolina setting and a true appreciation of what the first settlers encountered. 


If reading Voyager was about Jamie and Claire's reunion, then Drums of Autumn was about Jamie meeting his daughter, Bree. The anticipated scene was fabulous and I wouldn't change a thing. Without a doubt, that encounter was my favourite scene in the entire book. Followed closely by birth of Jemmy. I adore that the birth was a wee bit of a family event. 


I also found that I enjoyed more of the Indian interactions this time around. I was still very impacted and my heart was heavy for Ian. I found Ian was on my mind a lot and I was ever so thankful that Diana Gabaldon included that letter from Ian to Jamie and Claire while they were attending the Gathering. 


Of course I need to move on to The Fiery Cross now. I am quite excited about it since that book was my least favourite of the series and now I am thinking after this experience, I will enjoy it that much more. 


Do you ever go back and re-read a book and just love it even more than you did before? 


Teasers: Stephen Bonnet the pirate, bear attach and fought off with a fish, Bree's engagement to Lord John, birth of Jemmy and the biological puzzle that goes along with him





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite book of the series (so far)... Nice review! :)